Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed robbing screens on my 4 hives today. I mistakenly open fed a wet super a few hundred yards away yesterday. It created a frenzy. I think I caught it in time and covered the wet super. I reduced all hive entrances too. There seems to be normal traffic at all 4 today. Two of them are already using the top entrance of the robbing screen. The other two have the screen covered with bees trying to get in. They're not fighting like robbers, just on the screen like they're confused. There is slow traffic thru the top entrance of the RS, but not enough have learned yet. It started raining so I cracked open a sliding screen main entrance to allow them in. But, I don't want to leave that open for long as it bypasses the robber screen. I'm leaning toward closing it back up tonight so they can only exit thru the top entrance of the RS tomorrow morning and be persuaded to learn. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went out after dark tonight. Two hives are completely inside. One has a few stragglers hanging outside. The fourth has the screen completely covered in bees on the outside. I opened the bottom entrance all the way in hopes they'd move inside. Worse yet it started pouring rain. I put a large political sign on top of the hive to act as a canopy. Fingers crossed they're not too soaked already.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I find it pays to install the anti-robbing screen on Day One - whenever the nuc or hive is initially made-up. Once they've become conditioned to using an entrance without a screen, it can take longer for them to re-adjust - as they just keep banging-away at where they expect an open entrance to be.

If I ever need to retro-fit a screen, then I install the screen at night, and check on progress the next day. If they're having serious difficulty, then I'll pull the screen off once - at around midday, and then replace it. Then in the evening, I'll make another check - and again remove the screen for any foragers that are too thick to work it out.

The next day, I'll just check once in the evening - but from then on, they're on their own.

Putting on a canopy is a good idea, I've done it once or twice myself. Early beehives used to have such porches fitted as standard - but these seem to have gone out of fashion.
LJ

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still some stragglers this morning, but much better than last night. I closed it back up. Everyone inside will need to exit thru the robber screen. I also brought a swarm home last night, which I immediately fitted with a robber screen. From now on they'll all get them.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts