Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a package a week ago today on a medium box with foundationless frames. The queen was released the same day as the package was installed. Today I did a frame by frame look-see. They've got comb started on every frame, and 6 out of 8 are nearly halfway done.(you go, bees! Perfectly straight, lovely comb) I saw syrup stored, and pollen stored, but what I didn't see was my marked queen or any eggs or capped brood. Of course, the bees were thick on the frames, and I was looking for eggs past a nearly solid wall of bees on white comb, but still.

Should she have layed by now? Or are they just getting somewhere to get going first? I never got stung, but they were quite buzzy and hotter than my other hive. Kept thumping me in the head.

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
7 days is too early to see any capped brood. Check back around 9 to 10 days and you should see some if the queen began laying right away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, she couldn't have started right away, there wasn't anything for her to lay in. As far as I can tell, they've done the bulk of the comb-drawing from Sunday-today.
What I am asking is, AFTER they've drawn the comb, would she lay immediately if she's healthy and accepted? Or would she wait until, say, a certain amount of comb was drawn?

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
I installed 3 packages on April 27th and on my ten day inspections each hive had about ½ frame of capped brood. When I looked again on day 15, each hive has 4 or 5 almost full frames of capped brood and lots of capped honey and a ring of pollen around the brood on each frame. So in my case the queens began laying about a day after install and are going like gangbusters.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I installed 3 packages on April 27th and on my ten day inspections each hive had about ½ frame of capped brood. When I looked again on day 15, each hive has 4 or 5 almost full frames of capped brood and lots of capped honey and a ring of pollen around the brood on each frame. So in my case the queens began laying about a day after install and are going like gangbusters.
Were you on foundationless frames, fully drawn frames or somewhere in between?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in my case the queens began laying about a day after install and are going like gangbusters.
But is your case with or without foundation? My first day I had to tear down the tiny comb they'd built as it was not on a frame. The third day there was a bit of comb the size of a half dollar. I doubt she layed in that. After that, the heavy syrup taking started and today they've make 6 half frames. She couldn't possibly have layed the first 3 days, but how much foundationless comb would need to be present before the queen/colony would say "now lay".

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
Ok, more details. My three packages were each placed in one eight frame medium with nine frames tightly fitting into each box. Each box started with two frames of rite cell foundation and the rest of the frames foundationless. Each hive has a hive top feeder. On my last inspection (15 day) I added another box to each hive because all frames were mostly drawn out. My bees drew out the foundation and foundationless equally we'll. The first capped brood was all on the rite cell foundation though so I guess the queen started laying there first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I see. When did you notice capped brood on the drawn foundationless? Also, out of curiosity, why the 9 frames in the 8 frame?

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
I've only done two inspections, one at ten days and one at 15 days. On the 15 day inspection, I found capped brood on nearly half my frames. Both foundation and foundationless. On my 15 day inspection when I added the second box to each hive I pulled the ninth frame out of the bottom box and put it into my top box. I found the nine frames to be too tight so I'm only keeping eight in each box now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did a tree rescue, but put them in a box with no comb/foundation... just frames.

She must have started laying IMMEDIATELY WHILE they were drawing out the cells. I had capped brood on the 8th day!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
In my foundationless hives, the queen will start often laying when combs are very small, just a couple inches across.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts