Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I introduced a young mated queen 11 days ago (5/17). She was out of cage when I checked 5 days later. Today when I checked I saw queen and she looked fine- but no eggs/larvae. Does it take them a while to start laying when they're introduced? The hive had been queenless for maybe 2 weeks during which time bees backfilled empty brood w nectar (despite having drawn supers partially filled with lots of rooms to pack nectar). Looks like there are some open old brood areas (clean) but no eggs. Many of the frames still have some capped brood- but should I yank some of these deeps/extract to give her room? Would be more encouraged to do so if I saw her laying in the empty/clear cells. Don't have any other drawn deeps at the ready (used in a split).

I have another related question that I'll post separately, thanks

brad

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would wait another week but I would be concerned as well that does seem like a long time to not be laying yet. My queens and even unmated queens once they start running around the hive the bees start clearing out comb for the brood nest on their own pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It is a colloquial term for working well, getting going, etc., at least in my part of the woods. :)

Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks; I'll check monday and if still honeybound and no eggs I'll take some deeps and spin them out/stick them back in. hopefully then they'd clean cells out for her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts