Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My question is, How long does the effects of the smoke on bees last? When does the hive return to normal? When does the girls defenses kick back in?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Fairly quickly. By the time I work through a pallet the bees from the previous pallet are doing their thing. But it would depend on how much smoke you use. A few puffs is all you need, if you put enough smoke into a hive to make it look like it's on fire then expect a longer period as they work to ventilate the hive out.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
When you see the bees all lined up between the frames, their heads sticking out staring at you its worn off.

Even then mine are still docile.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
:lpf: @KQ6AR.....that is so true, they also follow your every movement and eventually a bunch of them will fly out at your hands. When they do that you either 1. didn't give the smoke enough time to work or B. you've been in there too long or in the case of a swarm I caught III. defensive bees.:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
When you see the bees all lined up between the frames, their heads sticking out staring at you its worn off.

Even then mine are still docile.
I love it! Too true! When I'm working the frames, suddenly you see the girls...all lining up, side by side, and you know like you know....they're eyeballing you. Time to reach for the smoker and PRAY it's still lit. If not, then they will light YOU up! :lpf:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha!! I've seen the girls do that! That answers my question. I was worried that the effects might last for a longer time...possibly hours, that they might be left defenseless against intruders! Thanks!

Oh Dan... good to meet ya - I'm KM4TB, down in Florida..the name is John

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi John,
There are about a dozen of us hams here on beesourse. I even found a couple on my local 2 meter repeater.
Some of the guys put there call in the signature file.
73 km4tb de kq6ar

Ha!! I've seen the girls do that! That answers my question. I was worried that the effects might last for a longer time...possibly hours, that they might be left defenseless against intruders! Thanks!

Oh Dan... good to meet ya - I'm KM4TB, down in Florida..the name is John

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
When I inspected beehives for NY State I often heard from beekeepers that they didn't want me in their hives because there was a nectar flow on and inspecting them would throw them off from gathering nectar for the rest of the day.

Personally I don't believe it, but that is what they said and I compliedw/ their request.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a newbie but luckily I read enough books that when I saw the bees lining up between the top bars looking at me I didn't say. "Isn't that the cutest thing you've ever seen...Ack! Get them off! Get them off! Help!" I've also notest different hives need different amounts of smoke.

Bee Kid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts