Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. My wife decrystallizes honey in pint jars in a water bath on the stove in fairly short time. I have tried to decrystallize a 5 gallon bucket of honey in a temperature controlled water bath at around 105F degrees, and there were still crystals after 5 days. I thought that was a high enough temperature. Did it just need more time?

I currently have a 5 gallon bucket of crystallized honey in a hot box, again around 105F, and after three days there are still crystals, although it is much thinner than before. How long does it take at this temperature? Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I gave up on the low temperature idea. Perhaps with some honey it works but not all have the same tendency to crystallize or decrystallize. Time as well as temperature is a factor and I found too much time contributed more to darkening than a higher temp for a shorter time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i set my maxant wax melter to 95F and it will take about 6-8 hrs ( i usually set it in the morning and when i get home from work its done).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use a Betterbee bee blanket - goes around a five gallon bucket - and in two days the whole bucket is ready to bottle, totally liquid. I figure it is worth the $125. (or thereabouts), because it can be used for years. I bought it with another beek, so it was half the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts