Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I made up a few gallons of sugar water that I did not end up using. How long will this last before going bad (fermenting?). I will not be able to keep it refrigerated but can keep it in a dark place. The reason I ask is I knew someone who lost a hive because the sugar water he fed it fermented. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

·
Registered
381 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors, but about four or five days around here. There are a lot of things that can be added to prevent fermentation, lemon juice, vinigar, HBH, Etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you add Honey-B-Healthy to it it will last a very long time and the bees will love it.

John, poor valley bee farm

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you've fed your bees, check them in a couple of days. Chances are your feeders will be bone dry and you can add the rest. I've fed double deep 8 frm hives 2 gallons of 1:1 to come back 3 days later to bone dry top feeders.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like others have said, there is a lot of things that affect it. If it's a new install of a box of bees, it will take a while. If it's a new install they will actually slow down on eating the syrup before picking up again. I have has a quart last me 2-3 weeks. It also matters what the flow is like in your area. If you have a good flow, the bees will go after the flowers instead of the syrup. Lots of things to take into consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts