Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after thinking a small nuc was queenless on 4/30 then finding a young queen 2 days later (she must have been 'out' on 4/30), what is the longest amount of time I give her until she is declared a dude? We checked today and no eggs. Saw her and she was wandering around doing nothing, bees not paying a lot of attention to her. I went ahead and added a frame of eggs/brood. She's pretty and I have hopes for her but I'm not holding my breath. When do I give up and pinch her?

·
Registered
378 Posts
She will never be a "dude" but if she isnt dropping eggs in the quality pattern you like in a week then snuff the DUD. Because if you dont she will just lay dude bee eggs..aka drone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because if you dont she will just lay dude bee eggs..aka drone.
I thought it was the size of the comb that determined whether or not a drone or a worker is being made, not the queen. Do I understand that wrong?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I thought it was the size of the comb that determined whether or not a drone or a worker is being made, not the queen. Do I understand that wrong?

Cell size does determine worker vs drone IF the queen is well-mated. If she is not well-mated she may only lay drones or lay a very spotty pattern. If she was bred by drones too closely related to her or if she was bred too late or by too few drones--all can affect her ultimate ability to lay. Also a poorly mated queen can actually run out of sperm!

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She will never be a "dude" but if she isnt dropping eggs in the quality pattern you like in a week then snuff the DUD. Because if you dont she will just lay dude bee eggs..aka drone.
Hahahaha! Obviously didn't catch my typo! Yes, I will check again in a week and hopefully my "dude" will be a laying queen.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, checked on my young queen and still no eggs. Found her on a honey frame just wandering around doing nothing. My plan now is to pinch her and do a newspaper combine with one of the two swarms that decided to come live in one of our nuc swarm traps over the weekend. Any advise or other ideas? I've never done a newspaper combine before. Do I use unprinted newspaper or does the ink matter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts