Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put a 3rd super on very soon, but the top super is so heavy. It is 90% capped.
How long can I store it in my dry, temp controlled basement? I would prefer to leave it on, but
with putting a 3rd on, I can't lift it up to put it back on. Or should I put the new one on top?
What to do?
New Bee Lady
Maryland:s

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Put the new one on top. You can pull a couple of the nearly capped frames and put them in the new super to bait the bees into moving into the top if you want, though probably not necessary if you have a good flow going on. Will you be able to get the 3rd super off when it is full? What if you need a 4th?

Storing can be tricky with wax moths and SHB. Also if the humidity isn't low enough the honey can absorb moisture. Also, if it cools (assuming your basement is around 69 degrees, it will make extracting more difficult without rewarming. I would leave it on if at all possible or extract right away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. I also posted in the New comers forum and got advice to put the empty on the bottom and put full on top.
With the advice to take frames out of the full one to make it lighter to move, then replace once moved:). Now I don't have to worry about toppling over with a 30+ lb box.
That was my "duh" moment for today. Am sure I will have more of those.
New Bee Lady

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Thanks to all. I also posted in the New comers forum and got advice to put the empty on the bottom and put full on top.

There is only one thing wrong with doing that. Work.

"The master accomplishes more and more, by doing less and less until finally he accomplishes everything by doing nothing."--Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

·
Registered
319 Posts
For now just put it on top as has already been said. You will not have to lift the supers off full. When you get ready to harvest them take out one frame at a time brush the bees off the frame put it in an empty box with a top. If the box you put them in is on the truck or a wagon you will not have to lift it till you get it to the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts