Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how long could you keep a queen in a metal "Barbie" style queen catcher?

Specifically I was thinking of confining the queen in the queen catcher while suspended from the bar in the broodnest for 14 days to create a brood break. I assume the nurse bees still have access through the queen catcher to tend to the queen during this time.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I don't know what a barbie style queen catcher is, however in the right cage a queen can certainly be banked in a hive for 14 days.

Re the 14 day egg laying break, if it is for mite control, may achieve something, may not.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
OK i haven't used anything similar.

The gaps are certainly wide enough for the bees to care for the queen through. There are 2 possible issues with it though, one being with those wide gaps the queen could wear herself out trying to squeeze through them, and the other being it is a hard shape for a queen to feel comfortable in when she cannot get a good grip on the surface. In my queen banking days i used wooden cages.

However my fears may be unfounded, only way to find out is to try it.

Hopefully someone else can chip in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does feel a bit small so I may end up building my own wooden cage but had hoped to keep life simple.....

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Plastic banking cages can be purchased, best I can tell queens don't survive in them as long as in wooden cages though. This is what I used to use.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is perfect and much appreciated, Oldtimer. I also found your article on Beesource on queen banking that included dimensions for the cage. I think even with my limited skills I might be able to build this.

#8 hardware cloth? The bees can still tend to the queen through this?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Yes, long as they can get their tongue through. A small mesh can be better for long term banking because with larger mesh the queen can sometimes lose a foot if they stick it through and a bee pulls on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts