Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed some of my honey supers today and will not be able to harvest the remaining hives for the next 2 days. I would like to keep them in my garage for a few days before I do the extracting.I have never done this on an incremental basis and have always extracted on the same day as i removed the honey. But I am getting older and have to go slower. I would appreciate it if someone could advise me if storing the supers for a few days is a problem and if there is anything special I should do to preserve the integrity of the honey.I have a closed garage and only opened the windows for a couple of hours to let some bees escape.
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Contractor trash bags work great for storage of full supers. I put the supers in the bag (one per bag) and tape shut. I usually keep them in the basement until ready to extract. Last year I pulled supers around the 4th of July and then extracted them with my late summer supers with no problems. Note. hobby beek with two hives.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just put them on card board and stack them nicely and put a top cover on top to keep anything from getting in. It takes me about a week to finally get all my supers off. So far haven't had problems.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
For a few days, I'd just put them somewhere where critters can't get them. With a top cover on perhaps as jsbyers said. Or a piece of scrap ply. I've got some supers stacked in my kitchen now waiting to be extracted tomorrow.

Wayne

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I am going slowly I have removed about 8 supers so far. I did stack them in my garage and so far I have a screened cover on them but will place a solid cover tonight or tomorrow. My supers this year were much heavier than previous years and I didn't weigh them but I can tell from past experience. Also this year I lost more hives due to swarming.
Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts