Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
www==
I buy a similar queen cage from Betterbee. They are inexpensive (.50 cents) and work well and are reusable.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mark,
I suppose if one was concerned about viruses they could spritz the plastic cages with 50% bleach solution and rinse between batches since they are made of plastic, but I am not that concerned about viruses. :)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
How many times should a queen cage bee used? Any reason to be concerned about viruses?
beats me. I keep using them until I break it.
I wash them like www said with bleach and water, let them dry and use them again.
Haven't had an issue yet.
The virus issue had crossed my mind and that's why I started to wash them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have, as an experiment banked queens in May and installed them in splits in October and they started laying immediately and did very well. I h ave never heard of "rolling" them... While I don't reccomend long banking, I wanted to see if that's why some package queens take two weeks to start laying. These started laying immediately, so I don't think banking really harms them as long as you don't bank them too soon after they start to lay... that does harm them.
I have, as an experiment banked queens in May and installed them in splits in October and they started laying immediately and did very well. I h ave never heard of "rolling" them... While I don't reccomend long banking, I wanted to see if that's why some package queens take two weeks to start laying. These started laying immediately, so I don't think banking really harms them as long as you don't bank them too soon after they start to lay... that does harm them.
I know this was an old post but I'm hoping you can help me a bit.
I'm wanting to bank queens overwinter in Alberta so for around 6 months. My thought is to have them in small push in queen excluder cages and have 2 frames with 10 per side (40 total). This is to try to keep the cluster around the queens (keeping the brood warm) as well as not completely stopping the queen from laying. For reference I usually run single deep 9 framers but would obviously be willing to change that up for the queen banking.
Do you think the bees would kill the queens if there's more than one laying just small patches? I know there's ways to get 2 queen systems to work but don't know if this would be a lot different?
How did you manage to bank the queens for a number of months?
I could also try with a queenrite colony, excluder then queens above the excluder.
And last, any experience or knowledge about keeping mated queens out of the hive in an incubator for a long period of time?

Thanks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts