Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and nice to be with you for the first time and thanks for letting me pick your brains
I have a Q please,
We are in Michigan, our 4th spring with bees. So far we've done pretty good, lost a few, had some splits, introduced new queens, you know, much work, trials and tribulations but sadly to find that we both of our last 2 hives this year. We're not too sure why or when they past (rip) but we removed the honey supers and put them in the garage, clean area with Temps pretty cold, sometime mid February(It is now end of April).
The capped honey looks good and smells good and yes, tastes good too but I'm not sure if it is ok to spin and eat. I'd sure hate to die or kill someone or get some gross intestinal parasite. (Ewww).
We were bombarded with business and I haven't been able to find the answer to my dilemma so the honey still sits. Temps are rising so I need to bust a move if I'm not too late.
Any help with this would sure be appreciated.
Thanks, Kara

·
Registered
462 Posts
Did you feed your bees last fall and winter? Honey doesn't go bad unless someone starts living in it or it gets wet. I always freeze any capped honey that I don't plan on extracting to kill all the bugs that might be living in it. The real thing to watch out for is small hive beetle larva. It is too early for wax moths. If you have any doubts, just give it back to the bees in their brood nest and get a leg up on your new honey crop this year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey there! Welcome to the forum. Just ask away cause people here are nice. Also, browse through threads. There are many informative things you can learn.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hi everyone and nice to be with you for the first time and thanks for letting me pick your brains
I have a Q please,
We are in Michigan, our 4th spring with bees. So far we've done pretty good, lost a few, had some splits, introduced new queens, you know, much work, trials and tribulations but sadly to find that we both of our last 2 hives this year.
Did you mean to say you lost your last two hives?
You can eat the honey as long as it has not been contaminated by Small Hive Beetle larvae or certain mite treatments. If you fed sugar syrup it is possibly adulterated, so I would not sell it.
It can be kept indefinitely if frozen. Oddly enough, honey will crystalize most quickly at 57 degrees. The farther in either direction slows the process.
The best use is to get some new bees and give it to them. They will really take off. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts