Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday,we had some really bad winds. I have hives behind 8' fence and it still blew the top boards off. It was only 75 degrees and I am not for sure how long the hives were open. Both these hives were 4# packages a month ago so not for sure if there are enough bees to keep brood warm enough. Is there anything I should have done or just let nature takes its course?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Top Boards...????

Outer cover? Inner cover? Migratory cover??

Should have buttoned them back up as soon as you realized they were open, then check again in a couple days.

I still don't understand the term 'Top Boards'.

Throw a brick or two or cinder block on top of whatever you are talking about if you get winds that crazy....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was both the outer and inner cover the frames to super were totally exposed and I did put them on as soon as I got home but father in law noticed and he was afraid to mess with them cause bees were everywhere he said. They were for sure off for at least 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You may have a few larvae die, but the colony will survive. I have had colonies blown over that were exposed for days to lower temperatures than you had and they made it OK. Like Bees in Miami said, put a weight on top of the outer cover or wire the cover down in some manner.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys makes me feel better figured most brood would die and would really set them back

·
Registered
378 Posts
Relax those are Texas bees....The bees just probably pushed the cover off just to vent some heat...so no worries ..Better brick it up next time

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had the lids blow off in a storm and had 2" of rain as well. all seems OK. Have now put a brick in the lids for winter.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You guys that worry about bees at 75 degrees crack me up. I've had lids blow off in the 40's with rain for at least a day. I put the lid back on and they never missed a beat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm in the "don't worry about it" camp as well (although i'm new to all of this, so my personal experience may not be that useful). I was over-aggressive with brood nest manipulation for a brief period of time, and was afraid i'd end up with chilled brood. Advance the calendar by a few weeks and there's been absolutely no indication that my hives were harmed in any way.

One thing i was told to look for that proved very helpful - check around the hives over the next week or three. If brood has been chilled, you'll likely see the dead pupae being tossed out of the hives as the cells are cleaned out.

Hopefully, experienced beekeepers will continue to chime in here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts