Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a hive is out of honey will patties keep the colony alive for a few weeks until its warm enough to feed syrup?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, they’ll make it just fine w/ patties. Just make sure it’s within reach, they’re brooding up right now and won’t move to get to it if it gets cold.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Sugar is what they need in most forms, white table sugar being easiest and cheapest will keep them going for months. Mine still have a month until they will have adequate income to survive. A few hogs have been relying on my charity for a month now or more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm new but I thought I would share...I suspected my hive's stores were low going into winter. I put in winter patties back in December and checked a couple times on warm afternoons. The bees had barely touched the patties. But there were handful of bees, and I saw cleansing flights. However when I checked last week they were ALL OVER the patties, TONS of bees, and they had consumed most of what I put in the hive. I added another patty that I had plus some sugar blocks I had made. They were SUPER active!!

I will check again next week.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You can winter bees on fondant alone. I did it with dozens of hives, from October to next Spring. No worries.

It is important, that the fondant doesn't dry out. So I let it in the plastic wrap it comes with. A hole below the package allows the bees to enter and chew into the fondant.

The warm air is trapped in the bag. Since the outside is cold, some water condensation occurs on the inside of the bag, so bees will have some water, too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ya, they’ll make it just fine w/ patties. Just make sure it’s within reach, they’re brooding up right now and won’t move to get to it if it gets cold.
How do you make sure they can reach it? I put mine on the top honey super. What if they cluster lower in the hive and it gets cold and don’t move up for it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
How do you make sure they can reach it? I put mine on the top honey super. What if they cluster lower in the hive and it gets cold and don’t move up for it?
I was referring to vertically. Horizontally, as long as they don’t have to cross too much empty comb, the cluster will work themselves to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts