If every bee has a mite, I would posit that colony is already dead, they just dont know it yet.
Could you post the source material of this info? It's pretty widely accepted, from very reputable sources, that this isn't true. Maybe of the offspring, but the mother mite is ready to go.Mites are not ready to go back into brood and reproduce as soon as they come out with the emerging brood,
Most of the literature I've read suggests it's an average of 4.5 days from emerging till entering another cell.Sammy did not say what the mother mite delay timing was but his indication was several days, not several hours.
Agreed. I always like being wrong, proof I'm still variable of learning, but that's what I've read and experienced in my own hives.Most of the literature I've read suggests it's an average of 4.5 days from emerging till entering another cell.
Wow. Cool that it was recorded. Learning experience for sure.Kamon Reynolds has a great series on going nuclear on a ridiculously infested hive. Its on YouTube. Summary- OAV every few days, Apivar strips, requeening, maybe replace comb, reduce size of space, feed feed feed both sugar syrup and protein. It can be done but will require serious intervention. Many would not go that effort but I would.
Its a personal choice. It’s not the bees fault (usually) for falling into disrepair so if I can do something I will do it.Wow. Cool that it was recorded. Learning experience for sure.
But is it worth it? Personally I wouldn't spend that much time and resources on a single colony that has fallen to that state.
I'd be going back to whomever you purchased the nucs from and asking for a full refund.......did you ask if they treated their bees for mites?I purchased a few nucs last weekend and just moved them from their nuc boxes into their 10 frame boxes. One of the colonies was absolutely infested with mites. Deformed wings everywhere and each individual bee had visible mites on them. I already treated them with one round of OA vapor. The question is: when should I next OA vape them? I know you usually wait 5 days but in an emergency situation should I vape them again tomorrow or is that too soon?
Strongly agree. In VA, one must have a Certificate of Health, issued by the State Apiarist, before one can sell nucs, queens, or comb. In this case, I doubt such a certificate would have been issued to the apiary in question.I'd be going back to whomever you purchased the nucs from and asking for a full refund.......did you ask if they treated their bees for mites?