Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long bees can go between cleansing flights. December has been a cold month- started with 2 weeks of below zero weather then warmed up a bit and had a few days in the low thirties, but we never saw any bees flying- I'm sure it wasn't warm enough. Now it is colder again- 2 below right now at 11:30 pm. It is not supposed to warm up above freezing before the end of the month.

Will they be ok holding it for that long?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
When they are not rearing brood, probably five months. When they are rearing brood, not nearly that long. Maybe only a few weeks. When brood rearing they are consuming and digesting pollen. When not brood rearing they are only eating and digesting honey. Pollen has a lot of solids. Honey does not. Brood rearing, in my observation never starts until after the winter solstice and seldom in earnest in my location until March. Before that they may raise some small patched of brood and then take some time off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When they are not rearing brood, probably five months. When they are rearing brood, not nearly that long. Maybe only a few weeks. When brood rearing they are consuming and digesting pollen.

NO WONDER THEY GET GRUMPY.....:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts