Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very aggressive hive I think they were queen less ( no larva or eggs )
we got this hive and another from a commercial beek other hive fine we had done a split 1 week after we got (lots of bees) took frame of honey frame of caped brood new queen and i think queen died in transport to our location
hive has become very hard to work like something out of a swarm movie
got new queen to put in but when we went to install checked and we now have some larva eggs small amount of caped brood ect eggs are in center bottom of cell and did not note a lot of drone cells i was wandering how long after new queen (did not see her) would it take for hive to quiet down

Thanks David

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mistake i didnt requeen when we went to requeen relized they must have made new queen becouse now eggs lavea and beginings of caped brood hive was acting loud and aggressive and still is tought that since they now have new queen (the one they raised) they would calm down if not i do have a new queen dont think i caould find queen in aggresive hive though lots of bees and as i said aggressive

Thanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
Sometimes they are much less agressive as soon as the queen is laying. Sometimes the old bees have to die off first, which takes six weeks or so. If you split them to the four winds, they calm down immediately. Small hives are never as aggressive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
split to the 4 winds do you mean shake them out and remove hive letting them go to other hives or making up new smaller hives

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael forgot to thank you for your web site really have learned a loty from it thanks for all info you have posted there

Thanks David

·
Registered
507 Posts
split to the 4 winds do you mean shake them out and remove hive letting them go to other hives or making up new smaller hives
I think he just means split them repeatedly until all of the nucs are small. A nuc on 4-5 medium frames should be pretty gentle, so depending on how big your hive is to start, you may need to 'split' it into as many as 6 or more nucs to get them down that small (assuming you are starting with a full-blown, 30-medium-frame hive).

-fafrd

p.s. I believe that shaking a hive out is only something you consider to do in the case of laying workers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts