Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How late is too late to setup a new hive with package bees in tn? Ordered some for late April, they got pushed to early may. Are they going to have a hard time? Are they missing too much of the spring nectar/pollen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm a first year bee keeper so not the best source of info but from what I know It will be fine but less honey production.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Early May is fine for packages in your area. The bees will build on the flow and next year you will be able to get honey crop. This year you may be able to get a few jars worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when you install a new nuc ( april 17th) when should i treat for mites.i was told by the person I'm getting nun from to treat in july and october.if this is correct would you use oxalic acid vapor since it will be hot in july?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
If you have comb with stores from a dead out, hive them on the comb.
by having build comb with some stores it will save them time and give a boost.

With comb and stores, I would think you can hive a package, into late june. Having other bees helps as you can then equalize stores as well.

GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.. I'll make sure to feed until comb is drawn. I'm not worried about getting any honey, just want happy healthy hives!

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts