Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone here knows how late into the Fall that bees will continue to collect propolis to seal the hive?

The reason I'm asking is because there's still some hive tops I needed to open to add feed, and I'm concerned that they won't be able to re-seal the lid.

Daytime temps will be between 50-60F.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Curious if anyone here knows how late into the Fall that bees will continue to collect propolis to seal the hive?

The reason I'm asking is because there's still some hive tops I needed to open to add feed, and I'm concerned that they won't be able to re-seal the lid.

Daytime temps will be between 50-60F.
Don't worry about it and do what you need.
A least worry.

They don't need to collect anything (but will for as along as the weather is good).
They will recycle what they have if there is a real need and they care.
Some bees don't even care.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
My bet is that there is plenty hanging around in the colony that they dont have to fly for fresh stuff. I prefer not to mess around moving frames and breaking down bridge comb they obviously thought a benefit. The risk of rolling a queen when it would likely go unnoticed or too late to correct is reason enough to avoid disturbing them unless really necessary.

If you are putting any wraps on your colonies any small cracks in existing propolis between boxes seems of little concern to me. Is cracking the propolis one of those mythical explanations for demise of a wintering colony? Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Last year one of my hives decided the reduced entrance I provided was still too wide. By mid winter they had propolized the opening down to about one bee width. I am guessing there is plenty of propolis already in the hive and the bees will use it and move it as they see fit. No worries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts