Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Southern Virginia the flowers are beginning to form on the stalk. I'd guess we are about a week from the start of the sourwood bloom. How is the bloom so far in other areas? Does it look like it will be a good year?

·
Registered
163 Posts
About the same here in southeast KY. Looks like the flowers are just starting on some of the trees, I would agree 1 or 2 weeks to bloom.....

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Here in Southern Virginia the flowers are beginning to form on the stalk. I'd guess we are about a week from the start of the sourwood bloom. How is the bloom so far in other areas? Does it look like it will be a good year?
We are about two weeks from blooming in Big Stone Gap. The last two year's sourwood bloom has not been strong. This year should be good, I hope.

·
Registered
70 Posts
New beekeeper here, I was just looking around some threads, and noticed a lot of you are close to where I live. Harlan County SE KY. I'm not familiar with all of the flow times yet, so this is good information. Big Stone Gap is just over the mountain. Good to meet you tsmullins.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dad lives in the north Ga. mountains, close to the Tenn, NC border. I was visiting him yesterday and noticed the sourwood is close to blooming, it is in the bud stage right now. My guess is by the end of the week it should start. Judging by the amount of buds I am hoping it will be a good year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
having never actually paid attention to sourwood, can you actually see the blooms from a distance, like in the mountains, or do you need to be closer to the tree?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
May I ask a favor? I purchased some small bare-root sourwood trees and they are just starting to leaf out (that's OK because these will be grown in a protected nursery setting for a few years).

But the leaf shape isn't what I expected, so perhaps I got the wrong thing, or perhaps a local variant (mine supposedly are from northern TN).

If you have a sourwood tree in your yard, could you snap a pic of the leaf and post it here, especially young leaves, so I can compare it with mine? I was expected a sort of cherry tree leaf shape, but mine have more than one point, similar to some kinds of maples, but they are very small right now so maybe it will change.

Thanks a lot!

enjambres

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you have a sourwood tree in your yard, could you snap a pic of the leaf and post it here, especially young leaves, so I can compare it with mine?

enjambres

Will post a pic of the one in our yard this eventing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The blooms are quite showy. You should be able to notice them from a distance.
Yes. They are smaller than the surrounding trees so I usually see them on hillsides, at woods edges around clearings or along the highway. Every once in a while you will see a big sourwood and that is a sight to behold. The President of our beekeepers club says that when the blooms are white it will be a good year and when they are green tinted, it won't be. The past two years he's been right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The sourwood trees are beginning to bloom in southern middle Tennessee. To bad I don't have enough to be beneficial as far as surplus honey is concerned.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
I drove up to my NC mountain beeyard today to remove spring supers and put on empty comb.
Around Cornelia, Ga (1500') sourwood is in full bloom.
By the time I got to Clayton (2000') they were just beginning.
At 6000 ft....another 10 days or so....I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Threepingsthree
We are moving some bees into Harlan co in about two weeks as I still have a clover flow here and Will wait until it's starting to open. Would love to find someone in the area to check for bear damage on occasion. Close to downtown harlan...just up on mountain. And maybe some over on black mountain just across border from big stone gap. So TSMullins please keep me posted. Threepingsthree if you're interested and want to work with me I woukd be interested. Maybe I can help you learn and you make a few $$. Pm me or email at [email protected] hotmail.com. I live just west of Berea Ky so I'm 2 1/2 hrs away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
suttonbeeman, I sent you a reply with my contact information. For the purpose of the forum discussion, why do you move bees to Harlan county after clover?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts