Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lauri,
I am looking forward to your winter postings. I have one cordovan queen from Pendell Apiaries. I bought two, but I lost the other queen to my clumsiness. I am doing everything I can think of to get her though the winter. I also have daughter of R Weaver's buckfast queen. She overwintered well. I am planning to get another buckfast queen next year and requeen hive. I would like to get back to 1st generation buckfast bees.
I am only a hobby beekeeper so I learn so much from beekeeper's who share what has worked for them.
I can build all of my wooden ware so I'd like to get suggestions as to what the best overwintering/queen-raising equipment that have worked for other beekeepers.
Thank you for taking time sharing your knowledge and experience in what must be a very busy life.

Mary

·
Registered
532 Posts
Lauri, looking forward to the winter update. I was part of a round table discussion recently on the requirements of the beekeeping industry and the prerequisites for beginning to build a domestic bee and queen rearing industry in Canada.

I would be very interested in hearing from you on what steps would be necessary to encourage beekeepers to set up local rearing operations, with a view to growing the domestic supply. You do something very much along the lines of what I imagine is the future for us, so hearing what you see in terms of industry needs and how to get there would be great.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Lauri, looking forward to the winter update. I was part of a round table discussion recently on the requirements of the beekeeping industry and the prerequisites for beginning to build a domestic bee and queen rearing industry in Canada.

I would be very interested in hearing from you on what steps would be necessary to encourage beekeepers to set up local rearing operations, with a view to growing the domestic supply. You do something very much along the lines of what I imagine is the future for us, so hearing what you see in terms of industry needs and how to get there would be great.
I got your email Janet, Sorry about the delay in my response. I'll reply to your questions asap. Still doing fall chores. A 3 hour trip each way today over White pass to get alfalfa today. Beautiful trip this time of year.
PA230542.jpg

·
Registered
532 Posts
That does look like a beautiful trip, however long! Looking forward to your reply Lauri, especially reflections on both short term measures and long term goals for establishing a stable queen and bee breeding capacity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bonjour a tous,
mes mini+on passé l hiver et j attends l arrivées des mâles pour diviser mes boites et faire des nouveaux mini+ j ai fabriqué des Quatro nuc que je vais peupler bientot et je vous mettrais des photos
À bientôt

141 - 147 of 147 Posts