Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the other day about boxes (8 frame med) and learned that I should a at least two more boxes. Added one and waiting until it is almost drawn out to add the 4th. So today I went out to look at my water source and water some plants that are in the area of my bees. On one of my hives there seemed to be quite a few bees outside the hive (actually sitting on the front of the hive) this was in the cooler part of the afternoon. It is getting very hot here, should be between 100-106 for the next several days. So I wanted to know how hot is to hot and what does everyone use for a water source. We have no local water.... and do not want the bees wondering around looking for water.

Thanks
Kelli

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Our bees are subjected to similar temps here in FL (100 degrees or so) we have plenty of natural water sources. I have seen postings about using bird baths, chicken waterers, etc with pebbles or floats so the bees dont drown. Use you imagination just give them something to land or float on while they drink

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Thought this was going to be a thread about me. :( :D

I've see a lot of people use the chicken waterers with pebbles. The boardman feeder sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have some buckets of old ceramic tiles layin around that stay full of water. the bees seem to love them. I keep them shaded so the water does not get too hot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a dog waterer that refills itself that I can put some rocks in, gonna try that. I have a large fountain for them but it is not working so well. Thanks for the info.

Kelli

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How Hot is too hot? I suspect the bees can stand the heat much better than we can! As you realize, water helps, so too ventilation.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A few days ago weather advisory was issued stating that a high was building over Texas and our weekend Tmps. were going to be 102-107 F. That has now been revised to 98F, and I am so glad. Where are all the Northern Beeks when you need them to absorb some of this heat, NOWHERE to be FOUND XCEPT, on that rich nectar grounds upper midwest. Forget about the HOT Africanized Bees, I am more concerned about the HOT Africanized weather.:cry:

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have seen pictures of hives under shade canopies in hot parts of California.

If you have a piece of scrap carpet a couple feet square, and allow your outdoor spigot to drip onto the carpet, I have heard this makes a good bee waterer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts