Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have all new hives and initial install went great with tons of new capped brood / resources across both hives. Those are hatching out now, but it doesn't appear that the Queens are backfilling the empty comb with eggs. All 10 frames are built out and have honey; nectar; pollen; etc...so I just added second deep boxes on top and moved a couple frames upward to tease the bees there. Will replacement brood laying/capping be slower than the first pass when everything was empty? Getting worried that my hives have stalled as I'm not finding a lot of eggs laid or capped cells like before. I have not really spent much time inside the hives pulling frames for inspections this first month to avoid getting in their way....have not located my Queens but not seeing Queen cells either.

So how fast will hatched out cells get reused?

Thanks

Frame prior to hatching... Hive frame.jpg

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
How fast depends on a lot of factors. How much other space is available that the queen is using, how fast are the workers backfilling cells with nectar, are your in an area that queens take a brood break, do they have enough workers to cover and feed all the frames of eggs, etc.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Yes, the queen will only lay into areas that are covered and heated by bees for all hours of the day. She may be waiting till some of that capped brood emerges to create more warm bodies before she goes on another laying spree.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks.... guess I just need to be patient and let them do their thing. Well if she kept laying at that beginning rate continuously I'd probably never keep up building new boxes eh?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ok thanks.... guess I just need to be patient and let them do their thing. Well if she kept laying at that beginning rate continuously I'd probably never keep up building new boxes eh?
Welcome to my world. Oh the things I need to construct as of last week...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading some other threads..... wondering if I may have overfed them and possibly they are simply backfilling the open cells with sugar water nectar - leaving no place for the queen to actually continue to lay? Feeding them now because they have an upper deep box to draw out all new comb. Once those frames are built out then perhaps I should stop feeding?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts