Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday June 18 at about 9:30 am one of my hives swarmed. It was a big swarm, but was kind enough to land on a small limb of a peach tree. An 8 foot ladder went right to the bottom of the swarm.

I usually keep about 10 hives, but do to swarms, splits to stop swarming, etc. I now have 19. So every piece of equipment was being used. I didn't have another bottom or top so I used one of my home made queen castles to put them in. I used the base of another queen castle for a lid.

After I got them in the box I moved them to their new location and put a frame of brood in with them to help keep them there. I found 9 other frames of foundation and put them in the hive.

The next day (Saturday) I noticed that they were bearding a lot. I try not to disturb swarms for a couple of weeks but popped the lid to see what was going on. Every frame was covered with bees. So I found another deep box. For frames I looked around and found a bunch of old used Pierco one piece frames that I scraped wax off of but couldn't get some of the old black wax off of and was going to pitch them. I also found a few white Pierco deep frames that I must have bought in the late 1980's or early 1990's before I knew that I didn't like the white ones.

On Sunday June 27th I needed my queen castle for a batch of cells and had built a new top and bottom for them so I went out to move the frames to the new box. Wow! The entire bottom box was completely drawn out. In the top box 6 frames were completely drawn and they were covering the last four and had them about half drawn.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

We are in our honey flow right now. I have known that swarms were the best comb makers and I have had medium boxes drawn and filled in a week and a half, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. The best part was they drew out all of my junk foundation and plastic frames that I was going to pitch.

I might have to put a honey super on two weeks after hiving them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It depends on what's around them as a nectar flow and how many bees there are. I took a colony out of a wall that had only been in there for a day or 2. There were a ton of bees and it took 2 deep hive bodies just to get them all in. All new equipment was used, they drew out all 20 frames, filled them with brood, honey, pollen and had the nerve to have 5 capped queen cells in the hive as well in only 2 weeks! I made 3 colonies out of the original one, but the main one is still knocking it out quick. They are in the country, so not nearly as much blooming out there since no one waters stuff in the country when its 100+ outside. I wish I could find them a spot closer to the city, I'll bet they'd be filling a box deep every other week with no problem, but I will leave them where they are. Not only are they aggressive foragers, but they can be quite moody from time to time.

C2

·
Registered
302 Posts
Beeteedee , sounds like you have some good problems going on :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts