Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed supers on each of my hives, sandwiched between the brood boxes, to get them familiar with the new frames. I don't plan to leave it there, I was instructed to do this when placing new boxes with undrawn frames. My hives are located on some property a distance away from my house so I can't get out there every day. Flowering trees are opening everywhere with plenty of dandelions and other flowering plants. I noticed the bees bringing in nectar and filling cells, so the nectar is out there. How fast theoretically could they draw out the super? I would like to plan to make the trip out there after its likely half the super or so is drawn to move it back to the top of the hive. Should I check in a week? Wait longer? Shorter? Also, if my methods here are completely off base please feel free to put me in my place. Haha. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
A strong hive in a strong flow will have the super mostly drawn and filled within a week. Take another super with you in case you need it. Move the center frames to the outside and place the two outside frames in the center to get them drawn. Better to have frames that are on the hive and don't get drawn and filled, than for the bees to run out of room for the nectar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A strong hive in a strong flow will have the super mostly drawn and filled within a week. Take another super with you in case you need it. Move the center frames to the outside and place the two outside frames in the center to get them drawn. Better to have frames that are on the hive and don't get drawn and filled, than for the bees to run out of room for the nectar.
What do you think about placing the new box between the drawn ones at the start? We are supposed to get down into the upper 20s later this week and I'm wondering if I should bump the super up to the top to keep the brood nest close together. They will have had almost a week to draw the box out if I bump it up on Thursday. Thanks for taking the time to answer my original question!

·
Registered
606 Posts
What do you think about placing the new box between the drawn ones at the start? We are supposed to get down into the upper 20s later this week and I'm wondering if I should bump the super up to the top to keep the brood nest close together. They will have had almost a week to draw the box out if I bump it up on Thursday. Thanks for taking the time to answer my original question!
I would put the brood boxes together again, as you suggest.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
If your temps are going back down, get the brood back together. Sub freezing temps and a divided brood nest is a recipe for disaster. Make sure the boxes are in the same position they were before you stuck the super inbetween.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts