Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Googled this and can't find the answer. When bees clean out dead bees from the hive, do the drag them or fly them out? The reason I ask is because I just built a Top Bar Hive with only an upper entrance. When a bee dies, will the others have to drag it vertically up the wood to the upper entrance and just dump them over? Is there a YouTube video of this I can watch?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
do the drag them or fly them out?
BOTH
The reason I ask is because I just built a Top Bar Hive with only an upper entrance. When a bee dies, will the others have to drag it vertically up the wood to the upper entrance and just dump them over? yes Is there a YouTube video of this I can watch?I don't know
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don't worry they'll get them out even through an upper entrance/exit.
Here's a link showing them carrying around dead pupa Click

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
My TBH has a bottom entrance, so the bees can drag out the dead. But I have actually watched them walk all the way up the side of my hive toward the top and squeeze past my divider so they can dump them on the other side in the empty area. It's not exactly outside, but I guess they consider that "out of their way". I've also watched them exiting the hive and flying away with the dead bees and drop them a couple of inches from the hive. Sometimes more than one helps walk the dead bee to the door, but only one flies with it. Yours bees won't have a problem cleaning up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After damaging some inhabited drone cells, as one accidentally does, I was surprised once to see one bee fly off and out of the yard with a drone larva. Most probably weighed more than the bee itself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have watched mine over and over bringing out the dead, they are very good at it. Most can't really get off the ground with them but boy do they try! They can tow them along quite easily though so I would imagine up the side of a TBH would be easy for them.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
They can be so set on getting rid of the dead that even once they get it out of the hive on the ground they may still hold it and will not let go, continually working at it until they can fly the dead away and drop it.

They can also work in pairs. Sometimes fighting each other in which direction to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts