Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How early do the bees usually start bringing pollen into a nuc ??

April 12, I put frames with hopefully young eggs into the 2 nucs, - 8 &10 days later, both had capped QCs - Going by the dates I read, definitely they should have emerged by now - maybe just barely for the one.

So mating flights could be going on or maybe finished for the one.

Just didn't think they would be laying just yet. From reading, a laying queen is when they start bringing in pollen I thought.

SO I don't know and am curious.

Don't want to disturb them at the wrong time.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I have a queenless hive that sure could use one.
That hive queenless for 8 days. No brood or evidence of any larva (I can't ever see eggs).
(Did a split with 1 frame having half drawn QCs. Was going to pinch other queen (hot) - found her and put the frame in a box to the side as the hive was uncovered and bees upset - but she hid on me - never found her.
With later that evening a small clump of bees on the underside/edge of the hive and still there in the morning I assumed she was there as the clump was gone by noon. Yesterday - nothing there either, no brood, larva - SO I did a newspaper combine and put them back together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was surprised myself with a similar situation, only I didn't know exactly the time they started. I believe the pollen comes in when she starts laying eggs. I have a hard time seeing eggs
Awhile later I saw the larvae. All sounds good to me

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Bees bring pollen in whether a queen is mated or not. However they bring in more pollen when there is brood to be fed. Don't count on incoming pollen as a sign a queen is mated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll wait until the 10th and just hope I see some capped brood as there should be some in there by then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts