Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly does a split work?

Say I have a friend who is willing to give me a split.

He takes 2 or 3 frames of brood (with no queen). I then start a brand new hive and fill out the rest of the hive body with foundation and introduce a mated queen that I bought?

Am I close?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
It could work that way. Those frames of brood are worth about $15 apiece this time of year and two or three would need a mated queen added as that is not a strong enough unit to reliably raise a queen themselves. Wait to get the queen before you get the bees and start them in a box with no cracks or gaps other than a small entrance about two bees wide. A solid bottom board would be best to let the bees more easily keep brood warm. I still have hives with seven or eight frames of brood coming and going like a firehose out of an inch diameter hole. Heat in the broodnest grows bees.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I been doing 1 or 3 frame splits and letting them raise their own. The 1 frame splits were when I moved some hives and had a lot of foragers returning to the old lcoation so I took a nuc and a frame of brood and bees and put it in the old location essentially creating a 3-4 frame strong nuc in a hurry and getting a mated laying queen in about 3 weeks. If I'm making a walk away split/nuc, I pull 2 good frames of capped brood, and one frame with young larva and eggs and let them raise their own. I only do this as I have quite a few very good queens and it's an easy way to get splits from them w/o disrupting the parent hives too much. I'm introducing 4 mated queens today, so I'm pulling 2 strong frames of brood and one frame of honey and putting the queen cage inbetween the brood frames.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am partial to a split where you steal the current queen and a couple frames of brood, honey and pollen, empty frame, maybe shake a few more bees in, then move them 2 miles away for a while. Then the old hive should be still really strong and should make an awesome queen for you. If you want more than 1 more hive you can go into the old hive after 9 days and use each frame that has queen cells on it as a split, add resources as you have them bees/food and move these 2 miles away. I use the 9th day to bring the old hive back, no particular reason, just a day I can remember with the other stuff needed to be done that day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts