Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is from a "Beekeeping News" article:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/beekeeping-bees-to-boost-income

"A colony which consists of between 60,000 and 100,000 bees can cost between $9,000 and $10,000, while a bee farmer would need a minimum of four to five colonies for a production of eight to 15 gallons of honey -- in addition to the other costs involved, such as purchasing protective gear."

"in addition to the other costs involved" :eek::lpf::eek:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well that's Jamaican Dollars. :lpf: Bees must be expensive there and really bad at producing honey.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something that's worth less than 2 cents shouldn't be called a dollar on Planet America! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think their exchange rate puts one US dollar = 90 Jamaican dollars. ...That's what a Jamaican classmate told me last week.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Wife keeps wanting to move to a warmer climate so maybe being a bee keeper in Jamaica would be nice then Washington. :D Plus they seem to get get thousands of Jamaican dollars for their honey.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
hmmm at 90 JD to 1 USD, $9,000 calculates to only $100 USD. I wonder if that's a two story hive, with supers? Kinda inexpensive, it seems... Wish I could get even a single story hive full of bees for $100... much less a hive containing 60-100,000 bees! Anyone out there want to sell me one at Jamaican prices? :lpf:

·
Registered
546 Posts
So if a can of Alpo is $1.25... That's almost nine doggy dollars a can! In Jamaica, that would be almost $35,000 Jamaican doggy dollars!

I had to post as I thought the math was off a bit. But, as someone pointed out, that would be $100 Jamaican, compared to US if I'm correct. Not too bad I guess....

Boy, that sure sounds like one giant hive with that many bees!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts