Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see references to 'well mated queen' and 'virgin queen'. How do you tell if your queen is mated, and what quality of mating has occurred? Other than wait and observe performance, I mean.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My mated queens are noticable larger than virgins. I don't think you can tell by looking at them how well mated they are. You have to judge that by observing their performance.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You pretty much have to observe the performance. Well mated means the drones she mated with have different sex alleles from her, so that the majority of the brood survives. You can observe this by a "tight" brood pattern where all the cells are of the same age. A queen that is not well mated (either not enough drones or closely related to the drone) will have a scattershot brood. She can also exhibit a high percentage of drone brood in worker cells.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How do you tell if your queen is mated, and what quality of mating has occurred? Other than wait and observe performance, I mean.
Its in the way way she walks and the way she talks.

Not sure about what anyone else could say about their observation but the mated swagger is surely different from that of a virgin. Secondly I would say that the "call out" of a piping queen has never been observed in a pile of virgins by this old beek.

As for a "well mated. " This term is an educated guess until she has laid a long while. The "guess" is based on your DCA configuration, Weather, and drone counts at the time of mating....

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>How do you tell if your queen is mated, and what quality of mating has occurred? Other than wait and observe performance, I mean.

Weight and observed performance are how you judge them... Other than movement. A virgin moves quickly and runs a lot. A laying queen waltzes over the combs...

"Ye shall know them by their fruits."--Matthew 7:16

1 - 5 of 5 Posts