Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you put 5 frames of old brood comb in a swarm trap and BOOM, you catch a swarm. For your new hive, you want to start them off with clean comb = foundation to draw. I would think that the queen has already started laying in the old comb and you are stuck with it for the time being. What do you do to get them off the old comb.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
+1 A single comb is sufficient to make it smell like home with a place for stores and eggs immediately. Cycle that single comb to the sides and out over time if you have a mind too, no need to hurry though.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
If you run two boxes over winter, make sure the old comb is in the bottom box and maby come febuary when many normally rotate the boxes to help with swarming the bottom box might be empty and you can rotate out the old comb then.

I don't know much and this is just an ideal.
Cheers
gww

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Spur1, according to your profile, this is just your second year keeping bees. The comb isn't old enough to worry about yet. Mark your frames for the year they were drawn and rotate them out after 4 or 5 years. A purchased nuc you want off the original comb fast cause you don't know how old it is and it is how breeders get rid of their old comb. I do like buzz kill in a swarm trap, one drawn (and the rest foundationless). Nucs and splits get fresh foundation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I only have a freshly harvested honey frame. Will that work in place of a brood frame or should I just go with waxed foundation combined with the foundationless frames?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
I only have a freshly harvested honey frame. Will that work in place of a brood frame?
No. You need comb that was used for brood which contains brood casings and smells that make a hive feel like "home". Extracted honey frames most likely have never had brood in them. If they have, then it should work, but swarms seem to be mostly attracted to really old, dark, nasty brood comb.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
I don't have access to that, so I guess waxed foundation is better than honey comb?
Whatever you have is best. If you have a hive you could scrape off some propolis and melt that on the bottom or top of the trap. Anything that smells like bees is better than nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts