Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching. :)

Nice crop here. Lots of colonies with 100+ lb.

Started early and has continued. Just finished a really strong Sumac flow. The meadows are showing one of the best clover blooms in years, and are white and yellow with blossoms from White Dutch, Alsike, and Birdsfoot Trefoil. Sweet clover is lush and Basswood is about to pop. If the Sweet Clover and Basswood yield well, this year will be one to remember.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
My season is shaping up to be the best I've seen in.....well....ever.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It has been real wet here, but everything that could bloom is blooming right now, and the heat is coming. "He's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple pie in the sky hopes."
Also, a good year for making increase. Overwintered 36/39 (35 in 5 over 5 type format), sold 13, 11 in production, and about 50 nucs started with plans to overwinter.
Thanks Mike for the Beesource sharing and the Sustainable Apiary Vimeos. I bought a breeder queen this year to add something to my stock, but otherwise have not been buying bees since 2010. :):thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
lots of honey this year, but different in previous years with regard to the bees finishing and capping most of it by this point on the calandar.

winter lasted three to four weeks longer than normal, so some of the blooms came late and the spring build up was delayed.

later blooms came in pretty much on schedule so the honey this year is more multifloral and you can really taste it.

then we had above average rainfall and higher than normal humidity through the spring that continues now into summer. our flow (which has normally all but ended by now) continues in earnest with noticable pollen and nectar still coming in daily.

all of this has resulted in record honey on the hives, but most of it still in process with a fair amount still uncapped whereas last year most of it was capped and a lot of it harvested already by now.

i'm holding off on pulling most of it until it's finished, which may end up being fall for a good portion of it.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I agree with Adrian, not much honey yet due to the rain, but if the sun ever shines, white sweet clover is just starting, but the basswoods look iffy, not many buds yet.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
What if they are all tall.....and they say it's better out west. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Drink Food Crodino Liqueur Sweetness

i agree good harvest here in North East Pa, late June over 100 pounds still many frames left to harvest that are waxed over on one side may have to wait till late July
for those but very happy indeed :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am real envious! Our bee pasture bloomed real good, but there did not seem to be any nectar in it. The honey crop looks to be like last year. Three years ago we had double last years crop. Our main crop is irrigated Sainfoin, and it is about finished. Our best hives have maybe half of a shallow super. The rest range down to nothing in the supers. We still have white clover, sweet clover, trefoil, alfalfa, and the second bloom on the sainfoin.
Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Northeastern NY - One of the best seasons I've seen in a decade. But its not only honey. Introducing queens, raising nice cells, and making increase with nucs and splits has been what we all want beekeeping to always be. Wow! Nearly ALL of my equipment is full and basswood has not bloomed yet.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree with Adrian, not much honey yet due to the rain, but if the sun ever shines, white sweet clover is just starting, but the basswoods look iffy, not many buds yet.

Crazy Roland
It looks like the Basswood shed most of its bells before the bloom, is that what you have seen?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Didn't try for honey this year, but a good year for expansion. Went from 6 colonies to 50(most in double nucs) and drawn out about 400 frames. Raising all my own queens and building our own equipment. Helped a friend of mine do about the same.

Been an exciting, hard, interesting, educational, and fun year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not a good year here, late and dry spring with more than one late hard freeze. Started spring with 2 hives, will get one medium super from the two.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts