Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just extracted 120 #'s of honey from 2 hives... used pots,containers, etc to store honey before pouring into jars. Just got 5 gal food grade bucket from local store but it held dill pickles.... How can smell be removed. Tried dawn dish detergent with baking soda.... smell still lingers.. Any advice greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My experience in home brewing has been that you can never get the pickle smell out. You can go though all kinds of soaks (baking soda, peroxide, etc.), but you might as well just throw it away. Then get a bucket from the bakery department at your local supermarket. Vanilla icing flavor by rinsing in warm water.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I tried sterilizing a polyethylene canteen with Listerine once. The smell would not go away. A couple of years later I stored it with whiskey in it ... that did the trick. I could no longer smell the Listerine. The whiskey smell persisted for years but I LIKE that.

Your honey might smell of whiskey, but that could be a selling point unless the revenooers get after you.

How much whiskey it would take for a 5 gallon bucket I can't say. But you could have a heckuva party.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It does go away. We reuse pickle buckets all the time. I'm not sure what our employees do but none of the pickle buckets I use have any lingering smell. My guess is filling it with bleach water (1 capful to 5 gallons warm water, though slightly more wouldn't hurt) and letting it stand for a couple of days would speed up the process. I recently recycled a 2 1/2 gallon sauerkraut bucket (worse than pickle bucket) for storing my sugar water. It had a strong smell that I didn't do anything about, but it is completely gone now and I have filled and used it maybe 5 times in the last 2 weeks. I did add a little bleach to my sugar water to keep it from fermenting so my guess is the bleach helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lowe's has the food grade buckets for about $3. They have a sticker on the side that indicates what it can be used for. I looked at pickle buckets too and the general consensus is that you cant ever get that smell out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had some green buckets that were used for pickles given to me. The smell was strong so I left them out side in the sun for weeks and also used the bleach water in them. The smell is gone and I use them for my extracting buckets. No pickle smell to the bucket or the honey. It will go away but it takes time ( alot of time).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think that I'd want to store my honey in buckets that held bleach for weeks. Sometimes it's not the wiser to be cheap. Go spend the $3.99 for the bucket and $1.99 for the lid at Lowes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bleach is used in the restaurant industry to sanitize (everything - containers, utensils, plates, eating surfaces, etc) and it is safe. It doesn't take much (1 capful to 5 gal), and it doesn't take weeks. $6 a bucket isn't much and I'd get those in a heartbeat, but I have a restaurant and go through plenty of buckets that it makes no sense to throw all those away if there is a chance to recycle. I gladly give any away to those that ask, so I assume other restaurants would too.

On a lighter note, we once saw a picture of a guy in the local paper that got arrested for growing pot and in the background were a lot of pickle buckets with plants they confiscated... we recognized the guy as the guy that came around weekly to collect our empty pickle buckets! LOL.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't think that I'd want to store my honey in buckets that held bleach for weeks. Sometimes it's not the wiser to be cheap. Go spend the $3.99 for the bucket and $1.99 for the lid at Lowes.
I didn't say I kept bleach in the buckets for weeks. I said I left them in the sun for weeks and used the bleach WATER in them. Do you go swimming in a pool? Have you ever got pool water in your mouth? Did you know that pool water contains bleach water, muratic acid, along with other chemicals? And as far as being cheap I have done fine being cheap all my life and I find that I am wiser because of my being frugal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I didn't say I kept bleach in the buckets for weeks. I said I left them in the sun for weeks and used the bleach WATER in them. Do you go swimming in a pool? Have you ever got pool water in your mouth? Did you know that pool water contains bleach water, muratic acid, along with other chemicals? And as far as being cheap I have done fine being cheap all my life and I find that I am wiser because of my being frugal.
the other chemicals..uhh thats kiddy pool sprinklings......

Back to the bucket... bleACH AND LET THE SUN SHINE ON IT

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
...you could make a composting toilet with the pickle buckets, I'm sure it would work....but then you will have to get _that_ smell out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts