Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
(6) 8 frame Langstroth Hives (1) Resource Hive
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been getting $6 for an 8oz jar and $10 for a 16oz jar but I have had people ask about larger quantities but i'm not sure how to price the larger quantities.

I sold 5 pounds to someone I knew for $40 but they later told me that they bought 5 pounds for $27.50 from another local place.

And I also have sold Quart jars for $24 each

Any insight would be helpful.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Price what the market will bear, and what you want to get. I get $10 for 11 oz jars, $15 for 22 oz jars, and $25 for 44 oz jars. Those are 1/2 pint, pint, and quart mason jars. Do not feel compelled to sell for "what the other guy charges". He may be seriously underpriced. I figure the mason jar alone is worth at least a buck or more. $40 for 5 pounds sounds fair. That is only $8 per pound. I won't sell gallons because they go for $60-70 in my area and I dont want to sell that cheap.YMMV

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
First, you have to determine your Cost of Goods Sold. This does NOT include the overhead it took you to make the honey. It is the cost of the packaging for each item/size type you sell: container, lid, labels, shrink wrap seals, etc. Then get the net weight of the honey that the container holds. Next, determine your Cost of Goods Sold per POUND for each item you sell.

Next, you need to look at your Overhead. This is everything you spent raising bees, feeding, treating, etc., less the Costs of Goods Sold. Divide this number by the total POUNDS of honey you harvested for the season. This give you your Cost of Honey per Pound.

Add your Cost of Goods Sold per Pound and your Cost of Honey per Pound and you have your total cost PER POUND for that item.

Now, how much profit do you want to make per POUND? You can then do the math to come up with a price for each unit you sell.

Asking people from all over the world what they sell their honey for is very interesting, but not very helpful. I live in a very poor county in a very poor state. I get roughly $4/pound above my COGS. My overhead varies a great deal from year to year. When I capture all of the numbers at season end, and factor it back out over the units I sell, I have always netted a loss. But my area will not bear much more price. Yours may.

You are grossing around $12 per pound on your 8 oz units, $10 per pound on your 16 oz units, and $8 per pound for your quarts. That is impressive and beats the brakes off my area. Either raise the price on those quarts or stop offering them. You are cutting your own throat. And $27.50 for 5 pounds sounds like what we make down here. You don't need to sell for that. Keep your per POUND price consistent.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sunrise: Since all beekeeping is local, it is helpful to us all to let us know your general geographic area in your user profile. Share what you are comfortable with -- we don't need a gps coordinates. But "Southern Maine", or "Pacific Northwest" would be very helpful to know for those of us that would like to respond.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sunrise: Since all beekeeping is local, it is helpful to us all to let us know your general geographic area in your user profile. Share what you are comfortable with -- we don't need a gps coordinates. But "Southern Maine", or "Pacific Northwest" would be very helpful to know for those of us that would like to respond.
I updated my profile 😉
But I’m in Western NY.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Forget working out cost, just sell for what the market will bear. If you cannot be happy with that, then find something else to do with your time.

I wish I could get the prices others here get, but so far I can't. This year I sold 1 pound squeeze bottles for $8.00, which was my smallest size. Anything larger than that, I price at $5.00/lb, plus $2.00 for packaging. So, a quart (about 3 pounds) goes for $17.00, half gallon for $32.00, gallon for $62.00.

I'll sell whatever quantity people want for that price, but over about 1/2 gallon, my prices seem high to others. Quarts and pounds are my most popular sizes.

There will always be cheaper honey, no use trying to undersell the bottom of the market. My buyers often say it is the best honey they ever tasted, that is worth something. (BTW, there are claims my honey cures covid ... who am I to argue with that? Not that I promote it either.) Next year I expect to get a bit more if the market holds up.

Reactions: Gray Goose

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,380 Posts
So I have been getting $6 for an 8oz jar and $10 for a 16oz jar but I have had people ask about larger quantities but i'm not sure how to price the larger quantities.

I sold 5 pounds to someone I knew for $40 but they later told me that they bought 5 pounds for $27.50 from another local place.

And I also have sold Quart jars for $24 each

Any insight would be helpful.
Sunrise,

I am basic, I do 9 a pint and 18 a quart.
Have warned the folks that next year, is 10 a pint and 20 a quart.
I do not give a price break for larger sizes, If I did the 4 pint order would turn into a 1/2 gallon order.
I also do offer to fill some folks own containers for a small "price break" .
I have close to a dollar in the Jar and lid , 30 cents in the label, and some labor into washing and drying the jars.
I would fill your jar for 8.50 per pint. which really is 50 cent more than just buying mine, but hey I have done 30 or so quarts of that market this year , and I did run out of jars so it helped.

shop around at farm markets, stores that carry local honey, and see what the going price is. I keep track of the competion. I may even buy and taste one.
If/When I sell out pre the next crop, I raise a little. When I have some left I am more likely to make deals.
The most used deal ,If I am over stocked , buy 10 get 2 free, I have the cases of 12 jars,, the jars come it, so that works for me, 20% off.
Church bazars seem to be a good place here, as well farm markets, but if the entry cost is high you need to consider that cost.

Keep in mind in 3-5 months your honey may/will crystalize so do not label too far ahead.

if you have quality produce they will find you.

You should try to understand the market , but at some point you price what you think the value is.

GG

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
27.50 is very inexpensive for a gallon. The honey your friend bought may or may not be local or even pure honey. You know yours is local and pure, make sure everyone else knows it, too. There is no need to race to the bottom.
If I were you, I would stick with the smaller sizes as you seem to be getting a good price.

Alex

·
Registered
387 Posts
I sell gallon containers at $100, when I sell them. I get $10/lb otherwise no matter the size.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Thanks for the 2 oz. bears update. I am selling mine for $3.50 and was wondering if I was high or low.

Alex, the $27.50 was supposedly for 5# which is a bit shy of half a gallon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A lot goes into how to price your honey. We generally charge $7 1/2lb, $10 1lb. We have had great luck with an honesty stand at the road near our house.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Thanks for the 2 oz. bears update. I am selling mine for $3.50 and was wondering if I was high or low.

Alex, the $27.50 was supposedly for 5# which is a bit shy of half a gallon.
I don't know how I came up with a gallon. Senior Moment, I guess.
Alex

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you are getting $5 for a 2fl.oz bear, you are doing much better than $10/pound. 2 fl.oz. of honey is roughly 3 oz. of honey by weight. 1 pound = 5 1/3 bears. You are grossing $26.67 per pound of honey. I don't know what your packing costs are, but I am guessing you are still killing it.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
psm, the 2 oz bears actually hold 2 oz of honey by weight. The bears and lids are not much less than full sized bears costwise. But yeah, he is killing it. $40/# gross.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
psm, the 2 oz bears actually hold 2 oz of honey by weight. The bears and lids are not much less than full sized bears costwise. But yeah, he is killing it. $40/# gross.
Even better!! I am getting $8 a pint (24oz.). Any of you guys up north want to sell my honey? I can probably get you 3 barrels a year. $5/pound delivered!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I guess most of you have a “price per pound” in mind and then add the cost of the container and label to get a final price no matter the size of the container.
Be nice to get $600 for a bucket of honey but I know the only way I’m getting that is by putting it in 60 1 pound bottles😉

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,380 Posts
Ok, so I guess most of you have a “price per pound” in mind and then add the cost of the container and label to get a final price no matter the size of the container.
Be nice to get $600 for a bucket of honey but I know the only way I’m getting that is by putting it in 60 1 pound bottles😉
:)(y)

Many will "try" then if they are "hooked" they come back.
Taste is in the bud of the beholder.
so "the way back" IE phone, address, and make the trial size doable on any budget.
you will be 60% trial size and 40% larger in a bit,
If you can,, do not bottle it all at once.. done it is committed, if still in a pail it can be Bears or 1/2gallons.

Sorry I am out of 1/2 gallon but here is 23 bears, May or may not fly.

GG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, I have only been bottling 1 or 2 pails at a time. I also recently built a warmer from an old upright freezer that I can decrystalize my jars or buckets in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts