Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum,

We have some clean honey that we kept from a hive a couple of years ago that we would like to set out for our new hive to use. Should we set it out a certain distance away so as not to endanger our hive? Some of it is in partially filled frames and some in a small container. All of it has been covered throughout the storage time.
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2021 17 hives
371 Posts
If you put out a frame of honey put it at least 100' away from your hives or you may start robbing. If you want to give it only to your new hive scratch/uncap the honey and put it directly in the hive. This will give the girls in your new hive something to do. On your partially filled frames you can lay them down and pour it directly into the empty spots on the frames. This can get kind of messy but will work.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If the honey is extracted then pour it on top of an inner cover and put the hive lid back on, being careful to not drip any over the sides and to stay back from the edge of the vent hole. They'll come up and clean it up.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Most honey, even from your own “clean” hives can have AFB spores in it. You could be taking a chance on doing that. Plus, putting open honey and frames out will attract all honey bees in your area to it also. Some diseases can be transmitted this way. Deb

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
WOW! Thank you, Deb!!! I don't want to risk that!
You will have many different comments and claims coming at you on this; I have said this before on this site...Dr Roger Morse of Cornell when traveling, either near or far, would buy honey from different people and test it when back in the lab. 90% or more had AFB spores. This doesn’t mean your hive will get it, the chance is low that a nurse bee will happen on those spores, but still a chance; so this is what I try to do. You could put the frames directly on specific hives instead of open feeding which is what I do. If your hives are hungry it’s good to feed them syrup, it really is OK for them. They will still collect the needed pollen and nectar out there. Or you could extract it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts