Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get the bees to draw comb that is the same width? When I put on a super of foundation and pulled up a couple of frames of drawn comb the bees just seem to extend out that comb and then make the comb next to that frame short. I know one good frame of drawn comb leads to another but these were good when I pulled them up. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, topdog17

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Put that frame of drawn comb up above in a super as bait then remove it as soon as the bees start working the foundation and pack the foundation as tight together as you can. I shave the frames to 1 1/4" and run 11 frames in a box until they are drawn. I will also throw that box of foundation on between two boxes the bees are actively working in to get them to start working it. Otherwise, the bees may swarm rather than move into a new box.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
First thing is first, are you speaking of a honey super, or a standard brood box? If you are using this as a honey super, put all drawn combs to one side and put your foundation frames in the center. Push them tightly together for the first year while they are drawing them out. If this is for brood box - you need to do what is known as checkerboarding the frames. You alternate between drawn and foundation in the brood boxes. It helps the bees go up as they frames have brood and bees when you checkerboard them. They will draw out the wax quickly to fill back in the brood nest. There are lots of videos on the subject on youtube.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing is first, are you speaking of a honey super, or a standard brood box? If you are using this as a honey super, put all drawn combs to one side and put your foundation frames in the center. Push them tightly together for the first year while they are drawing them out. If this is for brood box - you need to do what is known as checkerboarding the frames. You alternate between drawn and foundation in the brood boxes. It helps the bees go up as they frames have brood and bees when you checkerboard them. They will draw out the wax quickly to fill back in the brood nest. There are lots of videos on the subject on youtube.

If I do this in the brood box can I go foundationless?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can do this and go foundationless as long as you do it the right way. You have to use the already drawn frames and put the empty frames between the drawn ones. It works best in the brood boxes. Particularly when the spring build up is going on. They will pull out the frames put inbetween your brood combs quickly to restore the brood nest. Make sure you are feeding them 1:1 unless you know for sure the spring flow is in gear.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
move them up into an upper deep brood body to expand the brood nest. In this way you give the queen more room to lay in and more area for your bees to live in, which will keep them from swarming. More bees mean more honey.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Baiting bees up with a drawn frame is tricky at times as you've noticed. Sometimes it works well, sometimes even a fully capped frame of honey gets turned into a double decker with nice new foundation ready to be drawn out right next to it. The bees prefer to add on in this case rather than start drawing new frames. I usually equate this to a diminishing flow but you never know. For honey supers I typically stick to adding just foundation instead of baiting them up. I tend to bottom super as well.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
When using a bait frame to get them up, use a frame of young open larvae. This way they won't over draw that frame, but they will start on the frames next to it in order to have stores next to the frame of brood.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
In most cases the problem is not that big a deal but you can pull the long frame out and replace it with another foundation. I usually don't find it until honey harvest. It makes the long one easy to uncap and the short one you have to scrap. It gets better the next year because they extent the short one and just fill the one you cut even.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts