Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know how to make the candy that goes in the queen cages.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are several recipes out there but here is what I use for the queens I rear, I mix confectioners sugar with honey until the consistency is right; you don't want it soft because it will become runny or too dry because it will become hard as a rock. Some folks use corn syrup.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Mini Marshmallows work well.

Are you growing queens to put in cages for introducing?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, we had a bear get in the hive so i was going to rear my own queen.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If you are going to rear your own you don't need candy. Just put the mature queen cell in your split.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Agree you don't need it unless you are raising queens.

Assuming you are raising queens and want to make candy for queen cages, Michael Palmer posted the best recipe several years ago in the Queen Breeding forum: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221282&highlight=queen+candy

You can buy the invert sugar used in the recipe from Kelly's, it is $20 for a gallon which should last you a long time... makes enough for over 350 cages I think.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We've always used clear Karo syrup mixed with powdered (confectioners sugar). Never heard any complaints. Mix it to a consistency that won't run and will pack well. If you get it too dry the bees will need mini-jackhammers to get through it. Keep it in the fridge until use. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts