Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an OH (have had for a a few years) that I put a colony that was too weak to make it through the winter. I figured moving them inside would give them a better chance of making it.

Long story short, there was a queen issue, of which Kona Queen helped me out with. After the winter solstice I switched their feeder to 1:1 sugar, and gave them a 50/50 mix of Mega bee and natural pollen.

Things went well for a week or two, as the queen layed some eggs. But out of nowhere she stopped about a month ago. Now the numbers are dropping (as they tend to do in the winter) and I'm afraid if she doesn't start laying soon the numbers won't get up enough to have a sustainable colony.

They have plenty of pollen and honey stores (At least for an OH). I'm sure this cold weather isn't helping out much. Any ideas on how I can get her to think about laying again?

The only thing I can think of is to take out the Mega Bee and switch to Global Patties (see if they like it). Other than that I'm at a loss. Looking for some help.

p.s. I know OH are really a bust or boom type of thing, I'm just using the OH as an experiment to better understand how to increase numbers in the rest of my hives. If I lose it, so be it, but I"m trying to learn from it rather than just letting it go. Thanks.

p.p.s. I'll have pics up by later today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts