Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently gave me a little under a jar's worth of honey to feed to my bees, but I've noticed that a baggie doesn't work so well for me. I have a top feeder, but that's more for sugar water that is fed in a much greater volume, so the bees might not even be able to reach the liquid level. I also dont have any other super for use at the time. How can I feed them this small (yet large) quantity of honey using things from around the house?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My friend recently gave me a little under a jar's worth of honey to feed to my bees, but I've noticed that a baggie doesn't work so well for me. I have a top feeder, but that's more for sugar water that is fed in a much greater volume, so the bees might not even be able to reach the liquid level. I also dont have any other super for use at the time. How can I feed them this small (yet large) quantity of honey using things from around the house?
One way you could feed it is to pour it into a shallow pan, let it crystallize and then feed it. Mine really like it that way and they will get all of it with no mess. That is if you aren't in a huge hurry to feed it. You could probably sprinkle a little bit of sugar in it to make it crystallize quicker.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with surbabanrancher,.,,

I fed my bees with leftover honey from a bakery,, and I suffered 80% loss of hives,, you dont know whats in that honey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
the concern would be if it had american foul brood spores in it. i was able to feed honey to mine with a quail feeder inside an empty five frame box.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Lay a piece of foil or wax paper on the top frames, lay a paper towel down, pour a thin layer of honey on it and let the bees clean it up. I wouldn't put anything deep inside since bees drown in water and I don't know how they could survive immersed in honey. Set the inner cover on top with the rim downward so there's a bit of wiggle room for the bees below it.

Don't feed it outside the hive unless you want all the bees in the area fighting your girls for it.

All this is predicated on you knowing it's 100% pure honey because it came from your friend's healthy hives and not because some Sprawl*Mart label says "100% pure honey."

It may hardly be worth the effort for perhaps a frame's worth of honey. I know I wouldn't bother with it.

Wayne

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yall're right. I guess the idea is to just let it be, it's not worth the possible troubles. Shame to waste all that nutritious helpful honey though. I might be getting a frame feeder soon anyways, so perhaps it'll work out.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How can I feed them this small (yet large) quantity of honey using things from around the house?
Have you ever fed a baby? A toddler? You take a spoon full of honey and hold it out to the hive and then you put it in your mouth so they can see what they are supposed to do. Then you do it again. And eventually you will do what you should with a small jar of honey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts