Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new beekeeper with 3 hives installed from packages on April 28th. I am using all 10 frame mediums with foundationless frames and right now I only have 2 mediums on while the packages are getting started. One hive is going strong and has expanded into its second super, but the other two hives have filled most of their frames out in the bottom super but have not ventured into the top super. Should I:

a) Do nothing and let things progress naturally;
b) Move a couple of frames of brood from the bottom super to the top super to coax the bees up; or
c) Other?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure I would move brood unless there is lots of brood, but I would move a couple of drawn frames up to encourage them to move up.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I would make sure the outside frames are getting drawn by rotating them in one at a time and then move a frame of brood up into the center of the upper box, but drawn comb will do it too, just not as fast.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
If the bottom box is 80% drawn I would take the outer frames of honey. move them up to the next box placing them near the center of the box but leaving one undrawn frame between them. For the lower box replace the honey fraems with empties from the upper box but place them in the 2nd and 9th positions for a ten frame box. 2nd and 7th for an 8 frame box. You should then get the bees to start at least three new frames and as they progress they should be filled with brood.

Teh way I see it it is the bees want to work in the lower box. so move the work to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts