Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the bucket out side on the screen thingy. Seems no matter how long i let it drain when I put it in a bucket more honey keeps pooling in the bucket. Do you rinse it? We want to start building wax for candles and such.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You can spin them dry in the extractor, then let the bees clean them off one hour before sunset. At night, bring them in and wash them. Or you can wash them and use the water to make a mead, depending of course on the amount of honey that is with the cappings. OMTCW

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I put my cappings in a 20 litre bucket with many small holes in the bottom. I then place ( insert) this bucket into a similar bucket without holes. These two buckets ( stacked) are put into the car parked in the sun - presto, pretty clean honey and near dry cappings after a warm day.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Put the cappings in a bucket and fill with hot, hot water. swirl it around. Pour through the same screen you use in your extractor. Repeat until clean. When you melt the wax, pour it through cheesecloth for a final cleaning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I let the cappings drain overnight or longer and put in the solar melter. Honey will be on the bottom, wax on top. Let it cool take off the wax and let the bees clean, then you can refine from there. ;)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I clean mine in the uncapping tank with cold tap water.
The honey comes off, no problem. The wax floats on top of the water.

Forgot to mention, we spread them out on newspaper to dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts