Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm not actually a hopeful beekeeper, just writing a book that involves bees, and I was hoping someone here could answer a question for me :)

When a honeybee worker first emerges as an adult, I know her first job is cleaning cells. What I can't seem to find out is how she does this exactly. What part of her body does she use to clean, and what does she do with the debris, etc. that she removes from a cell?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Great photos...thanks.

They say if one is going to try grafting that cups should be put in before hand for the bees to clean. If one does this what is the chance of the Queen laying in them before it is desired...or does one have have the cleaning done above a Queen excluder?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
>If one does this what is the chance of the Queen laying in them before it is desired

If you watch a queen lay, she examines each cell. Most do not meet her criteria. I assume that criteria is that they are clean, perhaps the cleaners leave a pheromone marker for the queen so she knows it's done. They also polish the cells with propolis.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
So one just puts the frame with cups or grid cups into a hive a few days prior to grafting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts