Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am staining my boxes with a combination sealer/stain and was wondering how dark you are able to go with the color. I know it depends on your location and climate but, how much of a difference does light colored hives make? I see a lot of multi-colored boxes online and have even seen black. I know the tradition is to paint hives white. However, in certain situations, that stands out and draws attention more than one would like. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
We use unstained, unpainted cedar and have not had problems. They do blend in. We try to use common sense and may take into account whatever slight difference the color may make in connection with the orientation of the entrance, shade, wind and weather protection, ventilation, and other factors to the extent that they are controllable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use unstained, unpainted cedar and have not had problems. They do blend in. We try to use common sense and may take into account whatever slight difference the color may make in connection with the orientation of the entrance, shade, wind and weather protection, ventilation, and other factors to the extent that they are controllable.
Thanks Riverderwent. I appreciate the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts