Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was ready to install some queens, when I looked through the hive I found a new young queen that the colony had made. I decided to pinch her because her genes could not possibly be as good as the queens I had purchased (right)? but before I could grab her she started piping, her song sounded so forlorn yet strong and sweet at the same time, I was just too moved to act against her. God bless her, "long live the queen".

Then on the next stop it happened again, word must be getting around that I'm a pushover. Whatever,,, I'll wear that. The second one would walk around and the rest of the colony seemed to just hesitate and defer to her while she would walk a few steps then press herself against the comb and let out a beautiful little song that sounded a lot like a mother hen but higher pitched. All the bees seemed to stop and listen. It was like that picture of a married couple digging potatoes and stopping to listen to the Angeleus.

I'll find somewhere else to use the queens. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good for you Elwood. Culling is the hardest thing in the world to do, be it bees or chicks or whatever livestock you may be raising. I have a hard time doing it even when I know it's the right thing to do. I say make Nucs! Maybe they will be awesome queens after all.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
With your thumb and index finger-crrrrunchhhhhh,but only after they have proven to be unworthy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Today I was ready to install some queens, when I looked through the hive I found a new young queen that the colony had made. I decided to pinch her because her genes could not possibly be as good as the queens I had purchased (right)? but before I could grab her she started piping, her song sounded so forlorn yet strong and sweet at the same time, I was just too moved to act against her. God bless her, "long live the queen".

Then on the next stop it happened again, word must be getting around that I'm a pushover. Whatever,,, I'll wear that. The second one would walk around and the rest of the colony seemed to just hesitate and defer to her while she would walk a few steps then press herself against the comb and let out a beautiful little song that sounded a lot like a mother hen but higher pitched. All the bees seemed to stop and listen. It was like that picture of a married couple digging potatoes and stopping to listen to the Angeleus.

I'll find somewhere else to use the queens. ;)
A poets heart:)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If she is laying a good pattern of eggs in abundance, why change queens? I don't requeen, I make splits. Sometimes I find a queen who isn't doing a good job, so I replace her. But not very often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts