Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
We've had a catastrophic fall and spring for bear forage, and even my hives in town are targets (11 bears LIVING in our town of 2000 people, mainly on trash). So naturally I'm building a bear fence for the colonies that used to be in a safe zone. Here's my odd question. My yard has a significant slope and is terraced. One edge of my driveway drops about 6 feet to the ground below, and a big old boxelder grows at the bottom so the truck grow up over the driveway. Multiplel times bears wandering along see that beautiful trunk and shortcut up it into the branches via the driveway and camp up in the **** tree. It's a bear hotel of sorts, and I am not a fan.

So what I'm thinking is to run a line from the energizer to try to bear-proof the tree from being climbed from the driveway. I can't fence all around it, because of the driveway and the elevation change (and the lower yard is fenced and dog-patrolled anyway). So I'm thinking of using insulated screw-in offsets to put a band of hot wires or hog panel or something a few feet up on the tree, but question is:

Will a tree provide adequate conduction to ground or would I need to also put a grounding sheet (another span of woven panel or wire) below the hot, like you would for dry earth that doesn't ground well? And any ideas for making this aesthetically pleasing for SWMBO?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
get a fence tester and find out. if not wrap some chicken wire around the tree and the offset hot wire above it to were they have to touch both and ground to the chicken wire

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm picturing, but hoping to be able to leave off the grounding chx wire. Place looks "country" enough already ;)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
FWIW I have a buddy that claims he peed on a hot wire from his tree stand and said it hurt like hell but I'm not sure if it was true or just a tall tale

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If true it could be because he bolts his homemade stands to the tree so it could have been in contact with the moisture that way. I mean trees will conduct electricity or lightning wouldn't hit them just not sure how conductive dry bark will be at the base ya know?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey all,
We've had a catastrophic fall and spring for bear forage, and even my hives in town are targets (11 bears LIVING in our town of 2000 people, mainly on trash). So naturally I'm building a bear fence for the colonies that used to be in a safe zone. Here's my odd question. My yard has a significant slope and is terraced. One edge of my driveway drops about 6 feet to the ground below, and a big old boxelder grows at the bottom so the truck grow up over the driveway. Multiplel times bears wandering along see that beautiful trunk and shortcut up it into the branches via the driveway and camp up in the **** tree. It's a bear hotel of sorts, and I am not a fan.

So what I'm thinking is to run a line from the energizer to try to bear-proof the tree from being climbed from the driveway. I can't fence all around it, because of the driveway and the elevation change (and the lower yard is fenced and dog-patrolled anyway). So I'm thinking of using insulated screw-in offsets to put a band of hot wires or hog panel or something a few feet up on the tree, but question is:

Will a tree provide adequate conduction to ground or would I need to also put a grounding sheet (another span of woven panel or wire) below the hot, like you would for dry earth that doesn't ground well? And any ideas for making this aesthetically pleasing for SWMBO?

IIRC It is the water content that is at issue. Plus tree bark tends to have a lot of silica in it. I would put two insolated wires on the tree about a foot apart, one to ground and the other to the energizer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would say the best effect would be if the bear had 2 feet on the tree and 2 feet on the ground. If your driveway is paved, you would have to lay some metal grounding material out. I think the bark would be a pretty good insulator and probably wouldn't ground well. You could drive a ground rod beside the tree and ground some chicken wire to that. I would start cheap and build from there.
A chain saw or a 12 gauge are other solutions. :)
First one is bird shot
Next 2 are double ought
The last one's a slug.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Where I'm from trees make great conductors just ask the farmers that have cows killed standing under them during lighting storms every year.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe me, nothing would make me feel safer than some bear steak. But I'm right in town, on Main Street, and that tree shades my whole durn house. I expect I'll run some hot line up there and do a test from the tree with the volt meter.

Peed on a live wire from a treestand, huh? Hope he had a good harness on.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the tree gives about 3K on the meter, probe to bark (not dug in too much just touching firmly) to the hot line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.