Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
(6) 8 frame Langstroth Hives (1) Resource Hive
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going paste my story below and was wondering if others have experienced any thing like this? I usually only have a minor reaction to stings.

It was a scary day here today, my hives are unusually over populated already. My plan was to do splits even though it’s kind of early but I didn’t make it that far today.
While doing an inspection on the very first hive I was stung on my thumb, sure it’s hurts a little but I’ve been stung at least a dozen times before. Well something was different this time. I started feeling funny and quickly put the hive back together turned to walk back to my house and dropped right there next to the hives. Lucky for me my wife came out to ask me a question and found me unconscious.
She said she thought I was dead, but then I sat up and then passed out again. While she ran back into the house to get her phone I some how managed to crawl another 15-20 feet away from the hives and that’s where I laid. Going in and out of consciousness until paramedics arrived. Then I was taken by ambulance the the nearest ER, while in the ambulance the gave me Benadryl and a shot of epinephrine. Three hours later I was released from the ER. I still feel sore but I’m glad I’m ok.

The ER doctor gave me a prescription for an EPI pen and recommended I have Benadryl on hand.

I guess the moral of this story is don’t beekeep alone and even if you are not allergic you should have an epi pen and Benadryl.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A dozen stings total doesn't tell much. Sometimes a sting will just hit you harder than others, but..................lights going out for you is not a good sign. Definitely get tested.
In that vein long ago my dentist gave me a shot in the roof of my mouth. I came out of it, but he said I went gray and thought he had lost me. Painkiller went straight to my brain, just as a bee sting in the wrong spot might do the same. Well, it never happened again. My arm's reaction to my first COVID shot was way worse than any bee stings in the arm that I've had, FWIW.
I guess that moral is anything can happen and enjoy your life daily. Good luck with the testing.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
637 Posts
Yes get tested. This is serious. A sting can kill you if you are severely allergic. I'm also reading that your chance of having a greater reaction next time are between 25 - 65%. I think the question is- can you develop a heightened allergic reaction over time? Not getting stung at all can also lead to oversensitivity. In your case I would get tested before working the bees again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The cost of seeing an allergist to get skin tested and/or the blood test will be less than another trip to the ER in an ambulance. I would stay away from bees/wasps/hornets, etc until you are tested.
A bad situation would be on a fishing or hunting trip and get stung far from help.
The EpiPen, manufactured by King, a subsidiary of Pfizer, and marketed by Mylan, has dominated the market.[59] In 2007 when Mylan acquired the rights to market the product, annual sales of all epinephrine autoinjectors were about $200M and EpiPen had around 90% of the market; in 2015 the market size was around $1.5B and Mylan still had about 90% of the market.[32][59] Mylan raised the price from around $100 for a package of two EpiPens in 2007 to around $600 in 2016.[80] In the United Kingdom, an EpiPen costs £26.45 as of 2015.[103] In Canada they are about 120 CAD each.[104]- Wikipedia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan on getting tested, I for sure want to know if some thing has changed with me. As for the Epipen it only cost me $10 for the 2 pack with my insurance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update, I followed up with my doctor and after explaining everything that happened it was their opinion that it’s more likely the I had an anxiety attack and and passed out and for good measure got a mild concussion from going down like a clown. But I have the allergy test scheduled and the soonest they could get me in was in a month. So for now I got my Epipen with me for my regular job that’s also outdoors.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I had an anxiety attack and and passed out
I don't buy this.
Though this is one of their (doctor's) standard theories - the anxiety attack.
Well, they need to produce something good-sounding even when they have not a clue (which is most(?) of the time).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't buy this.
Though this is one of their (doctor's) standard theories - the anxiety attack.
Well, they need to produce something good-sounding even when they have not a clue (which is most(?) of the time).
Yes, well, that’s also why I’m still going to get tested for the allergy.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
The worst reaction I've had was a sting to the wrist and it swelled up to my shoulder. I started to notice that when I started eating RAW repeat RAW honey, my reactions went back to almost zero.
Also allergists treat snake venom collectors with very minute doses of venom. They do have bee venom collectors that collect it on a glass slide dry.
I am no doctor at all whatsoever. But I know what I would do if my reactions would ever return. The little finger prick diabetes things would start getting used on a monthly or weekly basis. With just a fraction of a single flake of bee venom. Not even a fourth the amount a bee would give. Extremely small amount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts