Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My package is due in Tuesday, I am picking it up 35 miles away vs shipping in. Last time I talked to the guy I am getting it from, he said since these are coming in from Ca. I need to get them in the hive asap. Now the weather is low Monday night 28 and the low Tuesday night is 25. Are putting them into a brand new hive at these temps an issue?

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
I would hive your bees as soon as I could. Daytime temps of 40 degrees on Tuesday just means they will be more interested in clustering in the hive, rather than flying. Predicted temps on Wednesday in the 50s likely means they will be able to get a cleansing flight.

There is some risk in hiving a package in freezing temperatures, but there is also risk in waiting and keeping them in the package, even if you keep them warm.

You may be interested in this Michael Bush page on installing packages:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jerry, thanks for asking the question. I too will be receiving my first bees on Wednesday. Another question i have is will it be too cold to spray the package down before dumping in?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Last year was my first year, and I started with packages from CA. When they arrived, the weather was cold and rainy so they spent a couple of days in the garage. I used a paint brush to coat the screened walls of the package with syrup until I could install them 2 days later. I didn't use any smoke or spray when installing. You could always spray the frames before you put the bees into the hive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For whatever my newbee experience is worth, we hived my first package of bees almost 3 weeks ago and we had similar temps. I just knew they would be all dead the next morning and when I knocked on the hive and heard nothing, I thought they were. I panicked and tipped up the lid but saw bees coming out the top hole so I quickly put it back down. It got up into the 50s that day and they were flying around. I think that was our last night that it got into the 20s here, though. So far I've only found 2 dead bees anywhere around the hive. I went in Saturday and have two or three frames of brood and lots of activity so I guess they are good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob,

I was thinking the same thing, Rader, thanks for posting the link!!!!! After reading that I plan to go the route. I also want to thank Michael Bush for all the info on his site!

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts