Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 80 and sun last Monday about 1/3 of the Maple buds finally split open. It was great to see the bees hauling pollen and nectar, and timing wise I think they really need it.

This morning it was 16f and had been below twenty much of the night.
I am assuming the open flowers are toast. Does anyone know how hardy the swollen buds are?
If we are losing that flow I may need to think about some supplement as I believe stores of pollen and honey to be getting pretty thin in most.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
They are hardy, the issue is that they bloom when the chances of great flying weather are iffy. This year, I was expecting another cold snap while they were blooming and added a pollen patty at the end of March. The bees are making the best of them during the nice days and the rest of the time they have patties.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here in coastal Georgia I can depend on the Red Maple to start blooming the last of December no matter what the weather does. When the Ti Ti bloom starts about when the Red Maple ends it's bee heaven around here, but the Ti Ti is very dependent on the weather and can bloom anywhere from January 1 to March 7. We drew the short straw this year.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Willow should start here pritnear soon for VT/NY/OH shouldnt it? Temps were low of 26 in my yard, with a lower real feel. In NJ/NYC, red maples have been out for some time now (about over) and willows are going strong.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here in central Ohio the maples are passed peak bloom and willows have been in full bloom for several days.

I checked my hive on Sunday and they had lots of pollen and nectar. We had temps down to 20 early in the week. Yesterday I had bees at my bird bath all day long for the first time. I bet the cold weather shut down the nectar flow and they are geeting water to rehydrate stores.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts