Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a neighborhood, and behind my house is a storm runoff area, a few hundred feet past that is a fire station. I think that pointing my entrance toward the back fence to get them to fly up and out that way is my best bet of not having the flight path right across either neighbor's back yard.

How close do I need to look at placing the hive? My back yard is pretty small, and I don't want to crowd them when they are taking off and landing.

This is my first year attempt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Do I need to worry about trees or anything - will they tolerate a tree directly in front of their entrance? There are a few places that I could put this, and the best place for afternoon shade is directly in front of a weeping willow style tree.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've got a couple of hives at my son's place on a downtown lot that measures 50 x 100 ft. Entrances are about 2 ft away from a 6 ft privacy fence. No issues, they push off and launch almost vertical. The neighbors don't notice them, and unless you are standing right next to them, there's no noticable flight path down low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chuck, that describes my backyard almost to the letter.

I appreciate the input everyone!

I've got a couple of hives at my son's place on a downtown lot that measures 50 x 100 ft. Entrances are about 2 ft away from a 6 ft privacy fence. No issues, they push off and launch almost vertical. The neighbors don't notice them, and unless you are standing right next to them, there's no noticable flight path down low.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Those hives are in more sun than I'd have thought ideal = South and SouthWest exposure with a minimal amount of shade toward evening. We push 100+ routinely in the summer. They have thrived. If I were real concerned, I figured I could sit a piece of foam insulation on top during the hotest months.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Full sun in the afternoon? August in Arkansas in the full sun can get a little steamy.

As it does in Nebraska...

Omaha record low -32 F, record high 114 F. We had a lot of 100+ days last summer. Yes the insulation on top probably would be good year around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>Full sun in the afternoon? August in Arkansas in the full sun can get a little steamy.

As it does in Nebraska...

Omaha record low -32 F, record high 114 F. We had a lot of 100+ days last summer. Yes the insulation on top probably would be good year around.

Good to know, I was a little concerned about putting them in the right spot, but that settles it!

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts