Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building one next year.

Wondering what the typical sizes were, depending on your number of hives and equipment.

Also, it would be good to know what you would do differently if you did it all over again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
http://mathispollenators.farming.officelive.com/HoneyHouse.aspx

Here is a link to our website and slide of ours as it was built this year. Ours it 50x100 with 2 30x50 super storage fumigation leaving us a 50x70 work space. We have enough room inside we don't have move things around to work on stuff. I made the mistake of not demanding the door supplier locate us 2 8x8 ft doors for the fumigation rooms. The 7 ft doors don't allow us to drive the lift in them. That will be the first change I'll do in time. I would tell you what ever size it is think bigger. It honestly dosen't take long to fill them with the bee toys we collect up.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat. 12x16 covered everything at first, including super storage. I should have doubled, no -- tripled the size from the start.

Sweetacres -- If you have inspection requirements in your location, you may want to share the plans with the inspectors to save rework later.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Were are you at in Iowa???
My son just put a new honey house up 75 miles west of Omaha.
Might not be that far of a drive for you to come have a look.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
50 x 80. Built when we had 150 colonies and were buying/packing honey. Now that we pack our own and have 600 hives expanding to 800+ this year building another 4-5000 sq ft building is in the near future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just built a 14x20 sugarshack to serve dual purpose. Built to be used for my new hobby (and to keep me out of trouble), sugarin' but it also doubles as my honey house. Figured that the term 'sugarshack' can be used for both kinds of sweetness... the kind from the bees & the kind from the trees.

Won't have any idea if it's big enough until we start using it for processing. We currently have four hives and probably won't get any bigger than 10. As for the maple syrup, I have 180 trees that are possibilities to tap. I'll probably start with 50 and then see how it grows, er goes.

Here's a link to the picts. We also built a decent sized garage for the cars... and the toys.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~mrfreeman/garage/garage.htm

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts